BNSF RAILWAY IN OREGON
BNSF Foundation Giving
Route miles owned: 226
Route miles trackage rights: 200
Handled within state: 385,641
MAJOR FACILITIES IN OREGON
Bend, Klamath Falls, Portland
INSPECTING OUR TRACKS AND BRIDGES
BNSF is committed to the safe operation of every single mile of our 32,500-route-mile network. Our track inspections include on-site visual inspections, and we utilize state-of-the-art technology to help identify defects or problem areas undetectable by the human eye.
- More than $1 billion devoted to rail bridge capital investments since 2006
- Our bridge inspectors conducted more than 61,000 bridge inspections in 2016
- 4,000+ trackside detectors deployed across the BNSF Railway network
- 650+ inspectors visually inspect more than 10 million miles of track every year
- 35 million daily readings from trackside detectors determine the urgency of equipment repairs and spot trends that indicate a more planned prescription for maintenance
- Approximately 300,000 miles of tracks annually tested by autonomous geometry cars
MOVING TOWARD A CLEANER ENVIRONMENT
BNSF is proud to be an industry leader in protecting the environment. Our fleet of locomotives is already the newest and cleanest-burning in the industry, and we continue to upgrade with new and more efficient engines.
- A single BNSF intermodal train can move as much as 280 semi-trucks, reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 75%
- From 2015 to 2019, BNSF has cut NOx and particulate matter emissions by more than 11% and 25%, respectively
- In 2019, shipping with BNSF enabled our customers to reduce their total carbon emissions by 32.8 million metric tons
- One BNSF train can move one ton of freight nearly 500 miles on a single gallon of diesel
- In 2019, BNSF recycled 2.5 million railroad ties, 5.5 million gallons of lube oil, and 0.9 million pounds of batteries
In 2020, BNSF expects to invest approximately $3.1 billion in capital across its system. The largest component of the plan will be to replace and maintain BNSF’s core network and related assets to ensure BNSF continues to operate a safe and reliable network. In addition, the plan includes investing in expansion and efficiency projects and acquiring new freight cars, locomotives, and other equipment. In 2019, BNSF invested more than $25 million in Oregon for capital projects.