BNSF RAILWAY IN OREGON
BNSF Foundation Giving
Route miles owned: 226
Route miles trackage rights: 178
Handled within state: 329,486
MAJOR FACILITIES IN OREGON
Bend, Klamath Falls, Portland
INSPECTING OUR TRACKS AND BRIDGES
BNSF is committed to the safe operation of every single mile of our 32,500-route-mile network. Our track inspections include on-site visual inspections, and we utilize state-of-the-art technology to help identify defects or problem areas undetectable by the human eye.
- More than $1 billion devoted to rail bridge capital investments since 2006
- Our bridge inspectors conducted more than 61,000 bridge inspections in 2016
- 2,000+ trackside detectors deployed across the BNSF Railway network
- 650+ inspectors visually inspect more than 10 million miles of track every year
MOVING TOWARD A CLEANER ENVIRONMENT
BNSF is proud to be an industry leader in protecting the environment. Our fleet of locomotives is already the newest and cleanest-burning in the industry, and we continue to upgrade with new and more efficient engines.
- A single BNSF intermodal train can move as much as 280 semi-trucks, reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 75%
- BNSF has cut average locomotive particulate matter emissions by nearly 50% in the last ten years
- 34 million metric tons of emissions were reduced in 2015 by our customers by utilizing freight rail instead of moving goods entirely over the roads
- One BNSF train can move one ton of freight nearly 500 miles on a single gallon of diesel
In 2018, BNSF expects to invest approximately $3.3 billion in its capital across its system. The largest component of the plan will be to replace and maintain BNSF’s core network and related assets to ensure BNSF continues to operate a safe and reliable network. In addition, the plan includes investing in expansion and efficiency projects, continuing implementation of positive train control (PTC), and acquiring new freight cars and other equipment. In 2017, BNSF invested approximately $50 million in Oregon for capital projects.